Review | MAC Strobe Cream

Monday 5 August 2013

 I initially wanted this product because I believed it to be a highlighter after having a look into cream blushes and highlighters. I'm not quite sure how I came to that conclusion but after receiving it on my birthday after popping it on my list, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that despite it not fulfilling the purpose I'd wanted it for, it's actually better than I thought! That wasn't before a little trial and error though as I'll explain below...

This is actually under the 'Skincare' section on the MAC site listed as a moisturiser. I tried it out as this at first but found that when I applied the rest of my make up on top of it, I couldn't really tell I had it on. Then I tried applying it on top of my foundation and blush but that made the rest of my make up rub off. I was a little concerned at this point as it doesn't come cheap at £25 for a 50 ml tube and I didn't want to be disappointed by it. After a quick Google, I found that it seemed to work best mixing a blob in with your foundation.
 I mixed it in with my foundation and applied it with my Real Techniques Stippling Blush and was very pleased with the results.
MAC describes it as "the ultimate quick fix for the skin. Super-powered with potent botanicals; de-snoozes, de-stresses, moistens, freshens and boosts the look of dull, flat or tired-looking skin with a fully loaded vitamin zap and a mega dose of green tea. Brightens and clarifies with iridescent particles and antioxidants. Enhances the effects of light on all skin and in all lighting conditions from sunlight to spotlight."
I had asked for the travel sized 30 ml tube but as I don't live near an actual MAC store, the only thing available at the counter was the full sized version. The packaging is a hard plastic tube which you just squeeze to get the product out. Although I don't really find that I end up squirting too much cream out I do think it might work better in a softer tube like the smaller version or even with a pump just for that little bit extra control as you end up 'blobbing' it out rather than being able to pump an exact amount. Nevertheless, it's not a huge issue and I'm really just trying to analyse the packaging... rambling now!
It's quite a thick, creamy consistency which isn't surprising considering it's name contains the word 'cream'. I don't find that this transfers onto your skin, it feels light and blends in nicely with my foundation (Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum.)
It doesn't have any fragrance that I can smell and it hasn't caused my skin to breakout in anyway as I had read some people had trouble with this.
I do have normal/dry skin depending on the weather and I think you might struggle with or dislike this product if you have fairly oily skin as it might just highlight trouble zones on your skin.
However, it leaves my skin looking dewy and radiant without any hint of glitter particles, just a completely natural look as if my skin just glows with health (if only!)
You can find this on MAC online and at MAC stores priced £25 for 50 ml or £12.50 for the travel sized 30 ml tube.

Have you tried Strobe Cream? Do you have any other skin illuminators you like?

19 comments :

  1. I think the consistency and finish looks quite similar to the NYC Smooth Skin primer, maybe it's a dupe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I've never heard of that until you mentioned it! It does look pretty similar though and definitely more budget friendly :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that looks like a lovely product! I need some new skin care. Your make up looks flawless in your last picture! I want your skin! Now following you on bloglovin :D

    www.allthingsbeautiful-x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you! I can really tell the difference when I use it :) x

      Delete
  3. it makes your skin look so nice and glowy!

    http://facebeforelace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great pick me up for dull skin :)

      Delete
  4. Your face and make up is flawless may have to try this for myself

    New follower

    Carrieanne x

    http://beautiesunlocked.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are literally glowing!
    I've always wondered about this product so thank you for sharing how it works best :) I have a similar product from Soap & Glory and it took me ages to make it work for me too, definitely works best mixed with foundation though.
    Maybe i'll try the 30ml tube!

    Hannah x
    http://b-l-a-b.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and you're welcome :) Ooh, you know my love of S&G, if this runs out and I can't afford more I'll give it a look :) definitely recommend! xx

      Delete
  6. It looks really great on you!!

    Would you like to follow each other on Bloglovin and GFC ? Take a look into my blog and let me know! www.gwiyomistyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing on you! I want I want haha! xx

    Rachael | beautypea.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have the cutest posts! I nominated you for a Liebster because your blog is adorable. Answering all the questions can be difficult so if you want to pass that is totally okay! If not, they're on my blog.

    www.cestunejolievie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like an awesome products, I really want to try it!! xx

    Kim | Elegance&Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review and a beautiful look!

    So glad I stumbled upon your blog! Check mine out as well when you get a chance :)

    Meagan
    chicisthenewblack.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks lovely on you! I wish I had the kind of skin that could pull it off :')

    I don't understand why MAC are selling it so it's more affordable to buy two 30ml packets instead of one big one though :') (Sorry, I always feel the need to point out these things haha)

    Love the post!xx

    thriftyskies | beauty and trends ♡

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just ordered the travel size online as MAC have free p&p this week in the UK.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I appreciate every single one and will do my best to reply to you as soon as possible! If you want to ask me anything, feel free to tweet me @kathrynhannah91 ♥xo

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs