Max Factor 2000 Calorie Mascara | Review

Wednesday 2 October 2013



Okay, first up, I'm going to apologise for the crossed-eye collage, having 3 pairs of eyes staring at you is pretty creepy, reminds me of a spider or something...  But, it's a good way to compare, so it'll have to do.

Anyway, I don't often buy a lot of mascaras anymore, I find recommendations unreliable as it depends on each person how their eyelashes are and what they want from a mascara so I tend to stick with my tried and trusted. My favourite one for quite some time was Max Factor's Masterpiece Max but when I decided to buy Max Factor's 2000 Calorie on a whim, I have to say that Masterpiece Max took a backseat as this is my new favourite.

I like my lashes to be fairly volumised, they are quite long but they're not super thick. I don't really like my eyelashes to look 'natural' but I don't want them to look really overdone or clumpy.
I'm normally a big fan of the rubber wand mascara's (not including Benefit's They're Real! - major disappointment) so I was a little dubious of whether or not 2000 Calorie was going to work for me.

I got it home and realised I'd actually picked it up in Black/Brown - rookie mistake. However, all was not lost as you can see from the pictures, it's still a pretty dark colour and doesn't look particularly brown at all.
I curled my lashes as always and then popped on a couple of coats of 2000 Calorie and was really pleased with the results.

The wand is a reasonable size although not too large that I smudged it everywhere, although when you take it out of the tube it does have some excess mascara that you need to wipe off, not a big deal. I found that it coats every single lash with very minimal clumping. If you do find you have too much mascara on your wand and it's been deposited onto your lashes, just keep on brushing and it all evens out nicely.

The formula definitely volumises my lashes and it does lengthen and hold the curl that my curlers have created. It also dries quickly - not so quick that it's drying whilst you're still applying the first coat but once I've finished my bottom lashes, I'm good to go with a second coat. In the picture above, I'm wearing just a light eye shadow with no eyeliner at all, it looks even better with liner, super thick.

There is no flaking or smudging throughout the day at all for me and it's easily removed with my Clarin's Gentle Eye Makeup Remover. I've also found that it's better value for money than Masterpiece Max as you pay £9.99 for 7ml and with 2000 Calorie it's £6.99 for 9ml (prices at Superdrug)  and for some reason, that little bit extra seems to really make a difference with the longevity of the mascara tube for me.

Without a doubt, I will definitely be picking up another when my current one runs out, this time I'll probably pick it up in black, just to see if there's a difference. There's also a waterproof version and a curved wand version, maybe I'll grab one of those in the future too! Max Factor are definitely my favourite brand for mascara, I've not been disappointed with any I've tried yet.

What's your favourite mascara? 

24 comments :

  1. Ok I def need to get this, your lashes look amazing :) I'm currently using one from Rimmel and it's so bad. Can't wait to chuck it out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I have had a couple of Rimmel ones and not been too impressed. x

      Delete
  2. Ohh this makes your lashes looks amazing! Great review

    Stevie | Stevie Hearts Makeup
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a shame that you didn't like Benefit's They're Real!
    This mascara looks amazing though and really does volumise your lashes.

    Hannah x
    I agree, September is one if the worst months! Revlon Lip butters really are the best things ever.
    Congratulations on the move :)

    Hannah x
    http://b-l-a-b.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I had really high hopes for it too! x

      Delete
  4. Very pretty eye lashes! Wish we had Max Factor more available in the States...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I hate it when brands aren't available in your country! x

      Delete
  5. Thank you, I'll check it out! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow such a difference! I actually have this exact mascara in black and it does nothing for me, I'd have never guessed it was the same product looking at your lashes in this. I'll have to give mine another go x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh no, how disappointing! I've seen amazing lashes with a couple of mascara's I've had but they've really not done it for me - Benefit's They're Real for one. Hope it works for you this time :) x

      Delete
  7. I've used this mascara for years, it's always in my makeup bag, great review x

    http://www.rosiebernice.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG your lashes look amazing!!!!!!! Just wow, the photo's say it all... I need to get this and try it for myself :D I love Max Factor mascaras generally, they're fabulous xxx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! They're definitely my favourite mascara brand. xx

      Delete
  9. I've still not gotten around to trying a mascara from Maz Factor but I really should, your lashes look incredible in these pictures!! This is putting my mascara from Rimmel to shame lol xx

    Danielle || Miss Sunshine & Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that added a TON of volume to your lashes! My personal fave is Maybelline Turbo Boost... I have terrible luck with mascara because I don't have tons of lashes to begin with.

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy isn't it?! I'll have to check that one out :-) x

      Delete
  11. WOW I literally couldn't believe the one coat picture, it looks better than fake lashes and is much easier!

    Emma - masqueradebelle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! God knows if I'll ever master false lashes hehe. xx

      Delete
  12. Wow, your lashes look AMAZING with this on! Thanks so much for the review!

    http://www.ragsoflove.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this looks so good. I'm going to purchase this. I like my lashes to look neat and separated. I don't like heavy, spidery looking lashes. This seems perfect for me. Great review.

    themeticulousperfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow nice lashes, have used this mascara is past but forgot to go back to it.. Must try it again as cant find any suitable mascara anymore as all new mascaras are super crazy extending etc, when for everyday look they are really not good for.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I appreciate every single one and will do my best to reply to you as soon as possible! If you want to ask me anything, feel free to tweet me @kathrynhannah91 ♥xo

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs