Benefit They're Real! Mascara | Review

Friday 22 November 2013


If you've read any of my recent mascara reviews, you'll know I was less than impressed with Benefit's They're Real! mascara. I got it as a freebie in Elle in the Summer and I was really excited to try it after hearing all the rave reviews. However, I was left disappointed as I found it super clumpy and found that it didn't hold a curl so I tossed it to back of my drawer in a huff and that was that.

For some reason, last week I was rooting around in my drawers and it came surfacing to the top, I thought I might as well give it another try out of curiosity and was left feeling surprised when I actually quite liked it. It's made my lashes dark and thickened them like I've never before seen.

So, what's changed? To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. It's possible that the formula has gone a little drier since I got it making it easier to work with or maybe my mascara preferences have changed, but whatever it is, I've been reaching for it most days this week.

By no means would I describe it as perfect, I still find the formula quite difficult to work with as it seems so thick. The brush is a plastic bristle type and this is usually my favourite sort; I've found that the little spiked ball at the end of the wand is brilliant for coating those hard to reach lashes and then using the regular part to comb it all back through leaving me with no clumps.

It does dry fairly quickly and I find I do have to work fast with it to come out how I want it to. It now seems to be keeping the curl in my lashes really well, I did get a new curler though so perhaps it wasn't the mascara that was letting me down but my curler.

Although I find it extremely long lasting, it doesn't flake on me but it has been leaving me with little smudge marks underneath my eyes after a few hours wear which I haven't had with many of my other mascaras. This is a bit disappointing as you obviously don't want to be worrying that you've got smudge marks on your face when you've gone out or when you're at work.
As for removal, it is a pain to remove at night unless you have an oil based make up remover, then it's not too difficult.

Overall, I've definitely been impressed with the results that I get from They're Real! It's given me the thickest lashes I've ever had but it's not without its faults. I really love the design of the brush and whilst it does give good volume and hold a curl it also smudges and isn't the best to take off in the evening. I have the smaller version which retails for £9.50 and the full size retails for £19.50. I don't think I could buy the full size version as £19.50 for a mascara is extremely expensive and I'd probably want to try other mascaras at a similar price to see how they compare if I was willing to splash the cash.

Have you tried They're Real!? What are your thoughts?

15 comments :

  1. It makes your lashes look amazing!! I was kind of on the fence with this, it reminds me of the L'oreal telescopic a little bit too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've heard the similarities between the two, Telescopic was my first ever favourite mascara but I've not bought it since all the new variations came out, think I might give it a try when I run out my current mascaras! xx

      Delete
  2. I think this is my next mascara. It looks totally up my street! I prefer drier mascara formulas! They are easier to work with and extend/ volumize the lashes considerably better! Fab post! xx

    throwmesomethingbeautiful.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like the sound of it :-) xx

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, this product was hyped so much and when I eventually got it from sephora, and tried it, I didn't quite like it :( and just like you after a while some months later I tried it again somehow it's not as clumpy as before but I still don't think it holds curl, though it does thicken my lashes a bit and make my lashes look better, especially when using falsies. Thank you for the review :) it does wonder to your lashes, darken and thicken your lashes a lot :)

    misaraisu.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, how strange! Yeah, I'm not sure it's deserving of the great reviews but at the same time, I do love the volume it gives! x

      Delete
  4. Have been wanting to try this! Can't believe I missed the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still not sure how I feel about this mascara :/
    thegirlsnextdooruk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's a tricky one! I like it in some ways and in other ways it's still disappointing. Trying to see if the good outweighs the bad!

      Delete
  6. I'm kind of undecided about this product too.. I love how long and full it makes my lashes but at the same time it's so difficult to remove and so expensive too! I will still continue to use it until it runs out though as it does make my lashes look nice :)
    It's great to see a review that's not hyping it up so much and I have to agree with you on this one.

    Kathryn x
    effievanity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I definitely agree with you! I've got a beauty box for Christmas and it has another mini They're Real in, I'll use it but I think it's best for nights out rather than every day wear! PS, our names are spelled the same :) x

      Delete
  7. This mascara is my favourite one however the only downside is that it drys out/ runs out so fast! I got through a full size and a half size so fast! x
    http://the-finestthings.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear really good things about this mascara, and I'm wanting to try it! Maybe I finally will. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love this mascara, but as I've naturally got really long lashes I have to be careful with how much I apply because I find that a little goes a long way!

    Yazmin xx
    www.yazzyscorner.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I appreciate every single one and will do my best to reply to you as soon as possible! If you want to ask me anything, feel free to tweet me @kathrynhannah91 ♥xo

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs